Director, Real Estate (Engineering)
Purpose of Role
The Director, Real Estate (Engineering) directs the land development process, including but not limited to project planning, design and approvals and subsequent project management and implementation of land development in the Ontario region, including the Toronto/Downsview market. The Director, Real Estate (Engineering) generates optimum value from the real estate holdings and acquisitions, including finding the appropriate balance of profit/revenue with corporate social responsibility initiatives including best practices in sustainability and resilience. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to participation in acquisition due diligence, preparing business plans, directing procurement, participating in public consultation processes, developing and managing value enhancement strategies, addressing environmental remediation, heritage considerations, and working with stakeholders and external agencies to secure approvals.
- Manages and coordinates the land development and site servicing of major redevelopment projects in the Ontario Region, with focus on the Toronto/Downsview area.
- Actively participates in projects where issues of a complex or strategic nature require the expertise of a senior land development professional. This may include strategizing and negotiating servicing and value enhancement strategies, securing provincial and municipal approvals, and preparing infrastructure servicing contracts.
- Generates optimum value from the Ontario region projects, including finding the optimal balance of financial return with community objectives and fulfilling the Company’s relevant corporate social responsibility (CSR) criteria.
- Participates in the preparation, review, and implementation of short-term and long-term planning activities, budgets, schedules, and business plans formulation.
- Prepares pro-formas and supporting documentation and oversees project budgets/ schedules to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Develops and/or oversees consultant scope and selection processes in creating the external multidisciplinary team (including but not limited to civil and other engineering, environmental, geotechnical, hydrogeological, transportation planning and design, landscape design, surveyors, field supervisors and inspectors, etc.) to advance project development.
- Directs and works with multi-disciplinary consultant teams to address project requirements, budget and schedule, oversees preparation of drawings and reports, and engagement of government officials to obtain approvals for development from approval authorities.
- Develops cost estimates, tenders, and specifications or works with consultants to prepare.
- Reviews, assesses and comments on all engineering, environmental and servicing reports, plans, and cost estimates
- Sources, negotiates and awards third-party service contracts and contractors following competitive procurement processes;
- Proactively administers contracts and manages changes in project scope, identifying potential crises and devising contingency plans
- Participates in environmental assessments, develops site remediation strategies, and secures environmental approvals/permits.
- Participates in heritage assessments (natural and built form) and develops strategies for appropriate repurposing, preservation, or commemoration.
In addition to the key functions listed above, the Director, Real Estate (Engineering) in Ontario region is also responsible for the following tasks:
- Represents CLC and its interests in dealing with external groups including municipal and other government administrations, the real estate community, and community groups to achieve CLC’s objectives.
- Builds long-term business relationships with industry leaders, approval authorities, and communities/stakeholders.
- Participates in community consultation, and interacts with stakeholders, serving as an ambassador for CLC.
- Managerial responsibilities of shared staff and possible direct reports.
- Acts as a resource and assists with other projects within the Ontario region and company-wide efforts, as needed.
- Special projects as assigned by the Senior Director, Real Estate and other duties and accountabilities, as required.
- Ensures implementation of quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Ensures project records are effectively managed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in civil engineering or comparable field required, including professional registration with the Association of Engineers.
- Minimum of 10-to-15 years of experience in municipal servicing and land development including exposure to and knowledge of best practices in land development and site servicing, property management, environmental remediation, heritage repurposing, low impact development/ storm water management, sustainability and resilience practices and construction practices.
- Demonstrated relevant and comparable project experience. Experience working with the City of Toronto is an asset.
- Project management skills including ability to establish budgets, meet schedules, manage project files, and make appropriate decisions to ensure the successful outcome of the project.
- Experience in tendering, preparing contract documents and specifications; as well as contract administration.
- Ability to direct and prioritize tasks and workload to meet deadlines, with strong focus on attention to detail.
- Strong financial and project management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of environmental issues, requirements and remediation alternatives.
- Good knowledge of provincial and municipal government organization structures and legislation in order to develop strategies and secure land development approvals.
- Knowledge of all aspects of mixed use residential and/or commercial land development from initial review of project feasibility, concept planning, municipal approval process, servicing of development parcels/blocks and economic factors affecting real estate markets.
- Proficient with computers and software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Project.
- Experience with AutoCAD including Civil 3D is an asset.
To express your interest in being considered for this position, please forward your resume in confidence to:
Patrick Rowan, Partner
Feldman Daxon Partners, Inc.
45 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M4V 1K9
Canada Lands Company CLC Limited is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Canada Lands Company is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes. Should you require an accommodation, please inform us as soon as possible and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.