FULL TIME HEALTH, SAFETY & WELLNESS ASSOCIATE
CN TOWER, TORONTO
We are currently recruiting for one (1) full time Health, Safety & Wellness Associate in our Human Resources Department.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources, this role will develop, implement, monitor and manage the Company’s health, safety, wellness, disability, and benefits programs. Liaise with Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB), Ministry of Labour (MOL), Workplace Safety and Prevention Services (WSPS) and other applicable occupational health and safety related agencies, and work with management to develop return to work and modified duties programs. Develop and/or train employees and managers in applicable occupational health and safety related programs. Interpret, implement and provide advice to management regarding all health and safety legislation and policies. This position is responsible for ensuring occupational health and safety due diligence throughout the organization. Participate in the Joint Health and Safety, Fire Warden and Wellness Committees.
- Manages and coordinates the review and revisions to the annual life safety and health and safety refresher training program while ensuring compliance with applicable government and Company legislation
- Maintains, sets up and administers the eLearning training software
- Interprets internal and industry data to establish wellness program needs, advising the Senior Human Resources Advisor on the development of wellness programs and initiatives
WSIB AND Non-Occupational Claims Management:
- Oversees reporting of (applicable) workplace accidents to the WSIB; completion of WSIB forms for an employee base which fluctuates from approximately 450 to 600, including seasonal employees
- Leads complex cases under the CN Tower “Early and Safe Return to Work” (ESRTW) program, engaging management to develop and manage creative and suitable modified work duties
- Critical injury reporting and management, per OHSA and Company Corporate Social Responsibility objectives
- Leads workplace injury investigations in conjunction with the Joint Health and Safety Committee, and the MOL, if required
- Ensure ESRTW processes are followed as per the Company’s established policies and legislation requirements
- Effectively liaise with claims adjudicators, auditors, physicians, medical professionals and investigators, and where required, MOL inspectors for un/announced inspections
- Communicates with third party provider to ensure a smooth, accurate, and timely transition of short and/or long-term claims management, and effectively communicate and update Payroll department
- Reviews and maintains related reports to monitor sick days and associated costs, etc.
- Analyze data for trends within the Company
- Oversees management of Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to ensure CN Tower compliance with set timelines and accessibility requirements
- Oversees internal health and safety logs and bulletin boards, ensuring compliance with applicable legislation
- Oversees file of Accident Cost Statement and NEER statements from WSIB
- Schedule and attend mediations and claims appeals as required for long term cases as deemed appropriate
- Ensure Legislative requirements are in place and being met by the Company
- Work cooperatively with the Senior Human Resources Advisor to interpret internal and industry data to establish wellness initiatives as they pertain to health and safety/ergonomics
- Prepares reports for regular Board meetings, Management Committee meetings and Employee Forum presentations as required with respect to, WSIB, First Aid reports, health and safety and wellness news/updates etc.
- Researches and provides information to Marketing department for the Weekly Update
- Interprets internal and industry data to establish wellness program needs, and develop wellness programs and initiatives
- Liaise with third party companies to pertaining to wellness services (Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and also including employee wellness events, i.e. flu shot clinic, stair climb etc.)
- Creates, sources and recommends wellness seminar topics, and facilitates when necessary
- Maintains on the job and off the job wellness education to all employees
- Conducts wellness survey’s periodically to ensure programs are in line with employee needs
- Serves as contact and resource for employees, fielding questions pertaining to the benefit program; communicates with current and former employees about benefit programs, procedures, changes, etc.
- Completes new hire enrollment forms, terminations, changes to beneficiaries, etc. and submits to appropriate contact in all applicable software systems
- Ensures benefits related forms are up to date and available for employee use
- Administers all Leaves of Absence (LOA) forms
- Maintains employee benefits data in automated Human Resources Information Systems
- Coordinates transfer of data to external vendors, plan providers, as required
- Acts as a subject matter expert to employees to answer their benefit questions and resolve problems related to access or payment of benefits
- Ensures all employees’ benefit plans are applied properly
- Resources to deal with personal employee situations regarding medical, benefit or sensitive issues
- Prepares monthly premium billings and reports for quarterly Board material, as needed
- Facilitates Benefit information sessions for applicable employees as necessary
- Manages, consults and advises on the corporate benefit program ensuring competitiveness to attract and retain talent
- Oversees application of benefits consistently to all qualified CN Tower employees
- Liaises with current consulting firm to review quarterly statistical data and support enhancements and restructuring projects, including conducting reviews of industry trends
- Consults with relevant business partners to ensure comprehensive knowledge of the current benefit program
- Oversees use of EAP, supporting Senior Human Resources Associate, as required
- Conducts audits of benefit reports supplied by carriers and payroll
JOINT OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY COMMITTEE
- Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee member
- Follow up with members after meetings on tasks assigned
- Ensure Health and Safety Certification requirements are met for the Committee
- Ensure Legislative requirements are in place and being met by the Company
FIRE WARDEN COMMITTEE
- Fire Warden for the Administration area
- Participate in meetings
- Participate and give feedback during and after Company fire drills
Other projects and tasks as assigned. Roles and Responsibilities are subject to change without notice.
Education and Experience
- A relevant college diploma or university degree in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent is preferred
- Experience in Human Resources is preferred
- CHRL designation in progress or achieved is an asset
- First Aid and JHSC Certification an asset.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of related experience in Disability Claims Management and Occupational Health and Safety is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR and Health and Safety principles and applicable legal and regulatory guidelines is required, including but not limited to ESA, WSIA, OHSA, AODA and Regulations.
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines, conflicting demands, frequent interruptions, multiple priorities and issues, and heavy workloads.
- Superior organizational skills necessary to manage large volumes of business from various sources and to coordinate multiple projects.
- Must possess excellent problem-solving, conflict resolution, negotiation, decision making skills, interpersonal skills, and verbal and written communication skills to deal with internal and external clients. Must exercise a high degree of judgment, analytical ability, diplomacy and tact.
- Must be comfortable addressing groups, leading training sessions, and engendering trust in focus-group situations.
- Must be proficient in standard office software and equipment.
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
- Light to infrequently moderate physical effort. Requires handling of light and moderate weight objects including office equipment and other office supplies and, infrequently, a moderate amount of standing or walking. Effort applies to number of hours as required by business demand.
To express your interest in being considered for this position, please forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com May 22, 2017. We thank all applicants for participating in the selection process. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Canada Lands Company CLC Limited is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Canada Lands Company is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes. Should you require an accommodation, please inform us as soon as possible and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.